When selling property, first impressions count.
This week’s blog is here to give you 6 tips on how you can make sure your home appeals to buyers from the get-go; to help inspire new homeowners who may be unsure of where to begin when it comes to the exterior of their property.
1) MAKE SURE YOUR FRONT DOOR LOOKS ITS BEST!
The front door is most often the first element people notice about a house. It is important that it is an impressive and strong object, and also that it is in pretty much perfect condition, because after all, buyers will come nose to nose with it. Colourful front doors are a great way to add personality and make the front of your property stand out. Knobs and knockers could do with a polish, or even better, be replaced.
2) FRESHEN UP THE EXTERIOR!The exterior of your property may look a little tired or run down, so a good idea would be to freshen it up to make it look as brand new as possible! A good start with every property would be to simply give the windows a wash down, to make that glass squeaky clean. Drives, paths and even doorsteps can get a little grubby over time, often with weeds and moss within the cracks. Using a pressure washer is a great way to remove the surface grub and dirt. Then opting for a weed killer is great for getting rid of the weeds. Another tip would be to repaint your exterior, especially if it’s white!
3) TIDY UP YOUR GARDEN!When it comes to making your garden looking tidy, some basic maintenance is all that is needed. Things to consider would be mowing the lawn, clipping back and neatening any hedges, refreshing gravelled areas, clearing the area of any dead leaves, and finally removing any dead plants and replacing them with fresh ones. There are many little things that can be done to keeping a garden tidy, and when all done, it can really transform the overall aesthetic of the garden space.
4) CLEAR OUTDOOR CLUTTER!When looking for a house with a driveway, the only thing that should be on show is a clean car or two. If the outside of the exterior is surrounded by other items, this will only detract form the good impression you are aiming to create. Although dustbins are a necessity for most households, hiding these would be recommended. Other things that may be unintentionally on show is children’s toys or bikes, for example. Making a hidden home for these items will simply change the way the exterior of your property is viewed.
5) KEEP BOUNDARIES WELL MAINTAINEDIf gates are hanging off their hinges or fences are damaged, your property will immediately lose value. It is important that you take time to check and make sure that any fences, gates, railings or outside walls are in good repair. Sometimes they may need replacing or repainting, and although this may be a job you are unwilling to do, it will definitely be worth your while as it is bound to boost the value of your house.
6) KNOW THAT USABLE OUTDOOR SPACES ADD VALUE
Whether it’s a roof terrace, a patio, or a full-blown garden, make the most of whatever you’ve got. Something as simple as creating a small seating area is usually all it takes to show the potential for entertaining or relaxing outdoors. Another option would be to introduce plant pots or hanging baskets to make a bare outdoor space that little bit more interesting and colourful, to attract potential buyers.